All Saints’ Gresford is a Voluntary Aided Church in Wales Primary School for pupils aged 3 to 11. Church schools have no catchment areas, zones or boundaries and are open to any child regardless of colour, sex or denomination. The school is funded by both State and Church.
There has been a school at Gresford since the early eighteenth century. In 1715 and 1728 money was given to the parish to be used for the education of poor children. A master’s house and school buildings were provided adjacent to the almshouses and to the north of the church. As the population of the village increased, a new stone school was built on the present site. In 1883 this was extended to give more accommodation for the boys whilst the girls remained at the original school.
A further extension to the school became necessary in 1902. This new building in the Victorian red brick style allowed the girls and infants to join the boys on the present site.
In 1970 additional classrooms, staff rooms and a hall with proscenium stage were added. The original stone building was then used as a separate dining room. The school then provided modern and up to date spacious accommodation for the children of Gresford.
The Governors of Gresford School wish to maintain this long established tradition of continual development. The school was remodelled in 1992 and extended in 1999. A further extension was completed in 2006 adding classrooms, storage areas, toilets and facilities including a library and computer suite.
The Cedar Rooms, a double self-contained mobile unit, was purchased by the Governors in 2002 specifically as a base for Breakfast and Teatime Clubs, Holiday Club and Playgroup Plus.